Friday 17 February 2012

Take me Baby... or Leave me.

So as a result of some nasty womens problems, I am holed up on the couch at 2am with a hot water bottle watching Rent. I just want to take a moment to express my love for this musical.

When I first watched Rent (the movie version, I haven't seen it live although I'm itching to), when it came out in 2005, I was 15 and I didn't like it. I'm not sure why but I remember not being able to follow it easily as there is not much dialogue and there were probably just too many issues my white, middle classed, healthy, 15 year old self couldn't understand. I decided to give it another try last year after reading about it on Autostraddle. My 21 year old self loved it to the point of tears.

Set in 1989 in Alphabet City on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the musical explores the lives of several people. Some gay, some fighting AIDS and some battling addiction. According to Wikipedia the musical is based on Giacomo Puccini's Opera La Boheme.

I was going to write a full review of this movie, but then I realised I don't really know how to write a review, so instead I'm just going to state the three best things about it, and urge everyone to go and watch it (or re-watch it) right now.

1. This song, that makes me cy every time, and which I had to pause in the middle of so that I could stop crying to write this post!

2. This song, which is my life anthem.

3. The marriage of Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs, my two favourite people in the world, after Richelle and Hugo of course.

Go watch!

P.S. Have you seen Rent? Did you love it?

No comments:

Post a Comment